Thursday, July 9, 2009

And so it begins......

Here we are, a blog - who would have thought!! Primarily this blog is about the adventures of a couple of Working Kelpies living in the city, however before we get to that, a little about how we got to this point....

My introduction to the world of dogs and dog training started some 15 years ago (1994) with my first boy "Major" a Kelpie x Stumpy Tail puppy picked up from the Wanneroo Markets for a mere $15. Turns out to be the best $15 I had spent in a long time. I soon became immersed into the world of Competition Obedience and then Agility - I was hooked.

Time passes and as we reach the end of 1999 thoughts turn to a second dog - a companion for Maj and I - as well as twice as many runs in agility for me :) - What can I say, other than - "It's addictive!!" Having always been a Kelpie fan I do some research and find a great breeder with really nice dogs - "Noonbarra" in New South Wales. However it will be another 8 years before I am able to get my 'dream' dog.

In 2000, the new RSPCA shelter at Malaga opened and I decided to go for a peek. A friend was volunteering at the time so I dropped by one day while she was there - pretty safe, I'd decided on getting a Noonbarra puppy. How wrong was I!!! Within the week I walked away from the RSPCA with a little brindle and white bundle - "Saxon". A bit of a mixed bag, but predominantly Kelpie, crossed with Border Collie and possibly several other breeds!!! Sax also came with a number of issues, which then led me deeper into the world of dog training and dog behaviour. As the years pass it becomes evident that Sax will struggle to make it on the competition scene. He has the skills and the desire, but just gets too worked up by the environment. No worries - he's the best family dog and companion you could ask for.

We reach 2007 - nearly a year into Majors retirement from competition - what I had hoped would be a long and happy one. It wasn't to be. Easter comes and I wake up one morning to find my boy refusing to move from his bed, even after putting on my runners and picking up the car keys. Something is seriously wrong. One look at his pale gums and we are off to the vet. Turns out he had a tumour on his spleen that ruptured. After ultrasounds and tests the painfull decision was made. So after nearly 13 years I said goodbye to my best mate - My first dog - something special that can never be replicated. Rest in peace my black dog.

MAJOR CD ADM JDM

No comments:

Post a Comment